Country Coordinator South Sudan (m/f/d)
Malteser International (MI) is the international humanitarian relief agency of the Sovereign Order of Malta. For over 60 years we provide relief and recovery for people during and following conflicts and disasters around the world. Christian values and humanitarian principles form the foundations of our work. In over 30 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia and the Middle East, we support people in need – regardless of their religion, origin or political convictions.
Malteser International has been working in the geographic area of today’s South Sudan since 1996. MI implements a multisectoral program including Food & Nutrition Security, Livelihoods, WASH, health and peaceful conflict resolution. This includes activities such as agricultural trainings, cash distributions, food for education and access to water, sanitation and hygiene. The program is aiming to increase its work with local partner organisations in order to optimise its sustainability. Furthermore, MI applies a participatory, gender sensitive and inclusive approach in its programming. As of today, MI maintains its country office in Juba while operating a program office in Wau and project offices in Uyujuku and Yei.
For its work in South Sudan, Malteser International is looking for a motivated and highly engaged Country Coordinator with extensive experience in leadership, networking and program development.
As Country Coordinator you will represent MI in South Sudan and develop its presence in the country according to context specific strategic and coherent goals. You will coordinate and supervise the program team of MI in South Sudan’s program locations and provide guidance and technical support to project teams and partners to achieve set targets. While ensuring all program implementation is done in accordance with Malteser International’s policies, procedures, and guidelines, you will closely work together with the Country Desk at Headquarters (HQ).
- Lead the development of MI country program by implementing MI strategy and through timely planning, preparation and writing of proposals according to donor and MI standards
- Establish relationships with in-country donors and proactively identify fundraising opportunities and potential partnerships
- Coordinate and evaluate project implementation to ensure high program quality in accordance with international standards while supporting the revision of overall action plans and budget
- Communicate frequently with the Country Desk at HQ, report regularly on programmatic developments and ensure relevant information is also fed into UN and government tracking systems
- Build and maintain good relations with partner organisations, national authorities, international actors and the media by participating in relevant clusters, meetings, events and conferences
- Supervise and manage all national and international staff, in close consultation with HQ, including performance reviews and capacity building activities, according to national law and MI guidelines
- Minimum 7 years of overseas experience as country responsible for an international NGO in a crisis context, with proven track record of successfully implementing a country program that is in line with international and donor standards (including project cycle management, humanitarian standards, logical framework, monitoring, accountability, proposal and report writing, budget and finance management, as well as administration and logistics procedures)
- Relevant master’s degree from a university, e.g., in management of humanitarian relief or development assistance, economics, social sciences or comparable
- Proven leadership skillset through experience in leading, supporting and coaching teams in a trustful and culturally sensitive way while coping with competing demands under tight deadlines
- Excellent communication and fundraising skills including the ability to effectively motivate people and to diplomatically build and manage the relationship with different authorities, partner organisations and donors (i.e. BMZ, AA, UN, USA and EU grants)
- Proven experience in security management as well as physical and mental strength to work, live and lead in a hardship location
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills mandatory; knowledge of German language would be an asset
What we offer:
- Start Date: October 1st 2022
- Duty Station: Juba, South Sudan (with frequent travel to field locations)
- Duration of contract: 24 months (extension very likely)
- Salary according to qualification and experience, insurance package, accommodation in team house/apartment, 31 days leave entitlement, one home flight per year of employment, R&R every 10 weeks
- Extensive (virtual) induction program, regular in-house trainings and learning events, and possibility of participation in regional meetings and external trainings
Working for Malteser International
Malteser is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all people, regardless of gender, confession or origin.
Whether you work as a specialist on overseas service or in one of our regional offices - we offer you a challenging working environment in an experienced international team. More than 1,000 national and international staff are currently deployed in various crisis and disaster areas around the world as well as in our regional offices in Cologne and New York City. For more information please click here.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this position, kindly submit your extensive application (CV, letter of motivation, copies of diplomas and three professional references) online at our job portal until 30th July 2022.