Protection Officer - National Position
Malteser International is the international humanitarian relief agency of the Sovereign Order of Malta. For over 60 years we provide relief and recovery for people during and following conflicts and disasters around the world. Christian values and humanitarian principles form the foundations of our work. In over 30 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East, we support people in need – regardless of their religion, origin or political convictions.
Malteser International has been working in Nigeria since 2017. In Northeast Nigeria and more specifically in Borno State, MI is currently active in the WASH and Protection sectors for improving the lives of both the IDP population as well as the host communities. The WASH activities focus on improved access to safe water, sanitation, and hygiene. They include NFI distribution, solarization of boreholes, rehabilitation of hand pumps, construction of latrines and hygiene promotion. The Protection activities are mainly in the areas of GBV prevention and response through provision of case management services. Malteser International thereby applies a participatory, gender sensitive and inclusive approach.
To support our work in Adamawa, State Nigeria, Malteser International is looking for motivated Protection Officer - National Position.
Under the direct supervision of the Area Coordinator, the Protection Officer will be responsible for the coordination and supervision of Malteser International’s Gender Based Violence (GBV) Programme implementation by partners across various locations in Adamawa State, Nigeria.
- Ensure that GBV survivors and those at risk of GBV are identified and receive individual support by ensuring that standard tools and procedures are in place and adhered to by members, while complying with the rules and regulations of Malteser International and donors
- Manage, provide training and technical support, and build the capacity of the full case management team
- Document all GBV cases and other related activities well and establish a good filing system
- Contribute to regular internal and external donor reporting
- Ensure continuous and effective liaison and coordination with target communities (internally displaced people and host communities) as well as local and government authorities and other stakeholders on case management and offer referrals of cases where necessary
- Monitor day-to-day activities in programmes to ensure best practices are adhered to in the provision of GBV case management and psychosocial support services to GBV survivors by implementing partners
- Be responsible for coordination and liaison between Malteser International and local partners/other agencies/local government/local communities/displaced community regarding Malteser International´s protection programme
- University Degree in Social Sciences or related field with minimum of 3 years relevant professional experience in the protection sector (including at least one year in a supervisory role)
- Strong technical knowledge in general protection and GBV programming (i.e., protection monitoring, case management, psychosocial support activities)
- Strong report writing, planning and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines in a time sensitive environment
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills and the ability to work in a team-oriented environment while managing an individual workload
- logical and flexible approach to problem solving , especially when working under pressure
- Good English language skills (written and spoken); knowledge of beneficiary languages (Hausa and others)
What we offer:
- Start Date: 1st July 2023 (Subject to availability of funding)
- Duty Station: Yola (with expected travel across areas of project implementation in Adamawa)
- Duration of contract: 5 months (with possibility of renewal)
- Salary according to qualification and experience
Working for Malteser International
Malteser is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all people, regardless of gender, confession or origin.
Malteser International is committed to safeguarding people within our programmes from exploitation, abuse and sexual harassment and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives. Malteser International conducts reference and background checks for all staff (including criminal records check for specific roles). Any candidate offered a job with Malteser International will be expected to sign MI’s Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Whether you work as a specialist on overseas service or in one of our regional offices - we offer you a challenging working environment in an experienced international team. More than 1,000 national and international staff are currently deployed in various crisis and disaster areas around the world as well as in our regional offices in Cologne and New York City. For more information please have a look here.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this position, please apply online at our job portal and submit your extensive application (CV, cover letter and copies of academic and training documents) until 7th June 2023.