WASH Officer - National Position
Malteser International is the international humanitarian relief agency of the Sovereign Order of Malta. For over 60 years we provide relief and recovery for people during and following conflicts and disasters around the world. Christian values and humanitarian principles form the foundations of our work. In over 30 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East, we support people in need – regardless of their religion, origin or political convictions.
Malteser International has been working in Nigeria since 2017. In Northeast Nigeria and more specifically in Borno State, MI is currently active in the WASH and Protection sectors for improving the lives of both the IDP population as well as the host communities. The WASH activities focus on improved access to safe water, sanitation, and hygiene. They include NFI distribution, solarization of boreholes, rehabilitation of hand pumps, construction of latrines and hygiene promotion. The Protection activities are mainly in the areas of GBV prevention and response through provision of case management services. Malteser International thereby applies a participatory, gender sensitive and inclusive approach.
To support our work in Adamawa State Nigeria, Malteser International is looking for a motivated WASH Officer - National Position.
The WASH Officer will be responsible for all water and sanitation related activities of Malteser International´s programme in Adamawa State, Nigeria. Within the responsibilities set, the WASH Officer will be required to ensure compliance with Malteser International and donor administrative, HR, financial, safety and security and logistical procedures in the workplace.
- Ensure the timely and effective implementation of activities under your supervision in the specific deep-field locations (daily coordination of activities, bills of quantities, procurement requests, financial requests)
- Based on project documentation and in coordination with contractor’s teams from the specific deep field location, develop and submit the monthly activity planning to the supervisor
- Manage partner implementation and teams of contractors (coordination and implementation of daily tasks, support in performance review by the Area Coordinator, participation in field staff meetings) and ensure that the teams understand and use all relevant MI protocols
- Ensure the daily supervision of contractors and partners, regularly assess the quality of their work by ensuring their suitability with MI technical prescriptions and regularly inform his/her supervisor of the procurement needs and supporting documents for the request to the Logistics Department in the country office Maiduguri
- Develop and submit advance requests related to the activities in the specific location and ensure timely clearance of advances in close coordination with the Finance Department in the Country Office Maiduguri
- Monitor the security situation and report any security or safety-issues to the Security Department in the Country Office Maiduguri
- Support the Area Coordinator in coordination between deep field locations and the country office in Maiduguri (including regular communication with the supervisor)
- First Degree in Engineering, Geology, Geography or other WASH-related fields from a recognized/accredited Tertiary Institution in Nigeria
- An advanced degree is an added advantage with at least 3 years post NYSC relevant experience in NGO sector
- Previous experience with other local and international NGOs
- Training and experience in borehole and VIP latrine construction/rehabilitation is desired
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English and Hausa, both spoken and written
- Ability to work in partnership with government and other NGO staff
What we offer:
- Start Date: 1st July 2023 (subject to availability of funding)
- Duty Station: Yola (with expected travel across areas of project implementation in Adamawa)
- Duration of contract: 5 months (with possibility of extension)
- Salary according to qualification and experience
Working for Malteser International
Malteser is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all people, regardless of gender, confession or origin.
Malteser International is committed to safeguarding people within our programmes from exploitation, abuse and sexual harassment and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives. Malteser International conducts reference and background checks for all staff (including criminal records check for specific roles). Any candidate offered a job with Malteser International will be expected to sign MI’s Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Whether you work as a specialist on overseas service or in one of our regional offices - we offer you a challenging working environment in an experienced international team. More than 1,000 national and international staff are currently deployed in various crisis and disaster areas around the world as well as in our regional offices in Cologne and New York City. For more information please have a look here.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this position, please apply online at our job portal by submitting your extensive application (CV, cover letter and copies of academic documents) until Wednesday, 7th June 2023.